Five Genres

Five Genres

Sunday 5 June 2011

Research

I believe that there are a number of things that make a good, or even great story teller.  First off, you need an imagination, and a good one at that.  If you can't be creative within your chosen frame work, then you're doomed right from the start.  Writer's block won't be a hurdle to get over, it will be a mountain.  Secondly, you need to do research.  It doesn't matter if you are writing fact or fiction, in a historical setting or something of your own making.  You need to know what you are talking about.  For instance, "techno babble" sounds interesting and may get you past the average reader, but if someone educated about your chosen topic is reading your work, it probably won't go over very well.  One thing you don't want is a reputation for pulling words out of your ass and throwing them on paper.

I bring this up because I realized yesterday that I really didn't know all that much about the Fallout universe.  I forget exactly what it was specifically I was curious about, but I headed off to The Vault-Fallout Wiki to look it up.  The next thing I know, I'm three hours into reading up on the entire Fallout mythos.

My first exposure to Fallout was with Fallout 2, and my time there didn't last very long before I was exposed to Fallout 3.  I didn't know that Harold was in the first Fallout game, nor was I aware that some of the areas in Fallout 2 were originally in Fallout.  Now I know.  I also learned a great deal about what is considered canon/lore and what is not.  My digging around in things not cannon turned up a rather interesting co-incidence: some of my own lore-unfriendly story elements bare a striking resemblance to elements that were planned for Interplay's Fallout: Van Buren.  If you happen to be familiar with that story line, you will recognize these elements once they appear in The Phoenix Imperative.  Having learned this, I think my lore-unfriendliness might not be as far off the mark as I originally thought.

Anyway, enough yakkin' for now.  I wish to present to you the second teaser for The Phoenix Imperative :)

4 comments:

  1. Exactly why anything I've ever tried to write has been in a "fantasy" setting. I don't need to base anything on anything even remotely realistic and, when all else fails, I can use the patented NosCo explanation: "A wizard did it." Writing anything in a realistic setting or in a world someone else has created, like the Forgotten Realms, for example, would just be way too much of a hassle for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can understand that. The majority of my story ideas, though, are based in existing frameworks, mostly because of my familiarity of the setting or franchise. If I tackle a fantasy story, it would probably end up set in the Realms, or maybe Dragonlance. The Ravenloft setting would be a good one to use. Given the way it is set up, I could basically write whatever I wish, within the context of Dungeons and Dragons, and not have it interfere with the rest of the setting. I'm just not sure I could do a good gothic horror story.

    That said, I have been playing D&D for so long now, the amount of characters and background I have accumulated would be an excellent starting point for a fantasy setting of my own. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always found Fallout "canon" a little tough to work with; beyond the context of one game. I never played the original Fallout; and only spent about an hour in FO2.

    Reading around the forums, the predominant opinion from the "lore" crowd seems to be that FO3 butchered "real Fallout" or whatever they call it.

    I say tell the story you want to, and let the chips fall where they may. We're talking about a totally fictional universe here, after all. It's not like there's is a real history to misinterpret or be guilty of revising. Just chalk it up as artistic license.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't overly worried about what the pro-cannon/lore-friendly crowd was going to think of the story. I plan on mentioning in the description that it is not going to be. That said, I would like to work in as much lore from the Interplay era as I can, including ideas from Van Buren.

    The Phoenix Imperative will be posted on sites other than just the Nexus. I'm planning on starting a thread for it on F3Underground, putting it on my MegaPix galleries, and on my new DeviantArt profile. The last two places will have the greatest exposure to people unfamiliar with the mythos, so cannon/lore will be irrelavant to them anyway.

    ReplyDelete