Five Genres

Five Genres

Sunday 24 July 2011

Bad News Update

Since I have gotten wind of the fact that some of the readers of The Phoenix Imperative are starting to go have suffer from lack of new episodes, I thought I would share the latest news on my "new" computer system.

I went into the computer shop yesterday afternoon (Saturday) to see if it was finally ready or not.  It wasn't...grrrr.  The tower that the store owner was waiting for had just come in that morning, and he hoped to have it finished for me by the end of the day, or Monday  at the latest.  I told him I wouldn't be able to come back until Monday, so no worries there.  He is rather appreciative of my patience regarding the time it has taken to get this gaming until built (I commissioned it over a week ago) so he is going to through in a few extras like upgrading the ram.  Personally, I would like not to be paying anymore than I have for it, but I will take what I can get at this point.

Not only do I need this system for gaming and doing the visual work on The Phoenix Imperative, but my job search files and links as well as pictures of items in storage that I plan on putting up for sale are on the hard drive of the laptop, and I need to "slave" that drive to access everything.  Yes, I could go and take the pictures again, but doing so would be an expense in fuel I don't want to spend if I don't have to, and I am also not inclined to be hauling stuff out and in of my storage unit in this heat we have been experiencing here in Southern Ontario.  Temperatures of 40 to 50 degrees C with the humidex?  No thank you.

So, hopefully, I should have some good news to share with all of you later tomorrow!  Hopefully...

2 comments:

  1. For some strange reason Blogger is not allowing me to leave a comment on the next post...

    Anyway, I'm glad you've got a new rig and hope it works well for you. Sticking with XP may not be trendy, but I think it's less of a headache than the newer operating systems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After having used Vista for the last four years and Windows 7 on the borrowed system, going back to XP is taking a bit of getting used to. I'm finding it to be a wee bit "clunky", but it I think it uses the least amount of system resources of the last three Microsoft OSs (500 Mb, if I remember correctly). That makes having only 2 Gb of ram not that big of a deal.

    Running XP also means that some of the software I purchased about the same time I got my laptop will finally work properly >.<

    ReplyDelete