Five Genres

Five Genres

Monday 25 July 2011

The "New" Computer

Okay, so as I type this post out, I am going through the lengthy and irritating task of installing my games onto the new computer, which I was finally able to pick up earlier this afternoon. Yay!

Since most of you are worried about The Phoenix Imperative, I decided to install Fallout 3 first, then the DLCs, then Oblivion.  After that, I drag the backed up FO3 and Oblivion files into their new home, and re-install FOMM, FOSE, OBMM and finally OBSE.  Hmm, maybe FO3 Edit would be a wise idea as well.

Unfortunately, in the process of backing up the data from the laptop's hard drive, the screenshots I had of episodes 5 and 6 got missed.  So I get to have the fun of redoing all of those again *sigh*  On the bright side, I can actually retake all those shots again, possibly with better resolution than that of episodes 2, 3 and 4 :)  I'll find out soon enough, as I plan on doing some game play to see how things go.

I have already had an inquiry as to the specs of my "new" system on the Nexus, so I might as well post them here to prevent a string of "so Dru, what are the specs of your new system?" questions.

3.4Ghz cpu (single chip)
2 gig of ram
580 Gb of on board hard drive space
Operating System is Windows XP
ATI Radeon HD 5570 Video card with 1 Gb on board memory
19" monitor

3 comments:

  1. Okay, now Blogger wants to act right...

    Anyway, the only noteworthy disadvantage to XP IMHO would be that its RAM capacity is more limited, but otherwise it should serve you well. It looks like you've got a good video card too. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Currently, the 2 Gb of ram I have is adequate for my needs. I don't normally have a lot of different applications running at once, and I tend to keep the number of ones running in the background to a minimum.

    The new video card has made an insanely huge difference in image resolution, frame rate and rendering! I figured the best way for me to test its limits was to run mods that caused the laptop to freeze up and/or outright ctd. So, I activated Project Beauty, MMM, Zombie Apocalypse and added in EVE and Book of Earache for the first time ever.

    Well Holy Shit! The card hardly blinked! The lowest frame rate I had was 6 and the highest was 60! The low end happened a few times in outside cells with high texture environments and a large number of actors. A bit annoying, but still playable. The 60s were showing up during dialogue with npcs. Hopefully, I will post some screen shots soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Windows 7 is definitely a resource hog; all the eye candy like aero peek and what not. I have 8 GB of RAM and as I type this my performance monitor tells me I'm currently using about 25% of it; that's just the browser, background programs and such. Translation: as far as gaming is concerned I really only have 6 GB RAM. And yeah, after learning how to run a PC with XP, after switching to 7 I was like: "God this OS sucks!"

    The video card really is where the real difference comes in; I've been thinking of getting a new one myself. I can run mods that add lots of creatures and NPCs, but still I've never been able to crank up all the visual effects to their fullest. I'm glad you're happy with your new set-up.

    ReplyDelete