Five Genres

Five Genres

Saturday 9 April 2011

The Name Game

It must difficult to go through existance without a name.  Bad enough that your creator forces you to wander around in a blasted an unforgiving wasteland filled with hostile mutants, crazy humans and irradiated food and water, but to not have a name?  That's just plain mean.  Ok, just kidding ;)

I posted Ultrajet's main character as the "Toon with No Name" and now I'm running with it.  Sorry UJ, I'm not trying to pick on you.  Your toon does need a name though.

If you are familiar with Ultrajet's screenshots, maybe you have a few suggestions for her?  If you're not familiar with her work, maybe you can take some time to visit her profile and take a peek at what she's done.  Might get the wheel's turning :)

Speaking of names, I've been wracking my brains trying to come up with a title for the comic.  I have been rejecting several I have come up with, mostly due to them sounding way to familiar to me.  They have been reminding me of other comics and a few mods posted on the Nexus, actual published books, and one or two TV shows or motion pictures.  I am currently working with this:  The Pheonix Imperative.

What images or themes does that evoke in you?  Feel free to share your thoughts on that. 

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always just called UJ's character UltraJet...I didn't know she was totally nameless. If she can't think up anything I'll do some pondering on it; I'm usually pretty good at coming up with names.

    As for Phoenix Imperative...I like the Imperative part (imperative means commanding! I wasn't sure and had to look it up). I'm not sure how I feel about Phoenix. I like it, but it's giving me a strong fantasy vibe. It's probably just me, though. :P

    edit: Aw, it didn't totally get rid of my other comment that I deleted. Oh well, guess you all know my name now--not that I was particularly secretive about it in the first place, but yeah. XP

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's not totally nameless Odile, her name is Linda (my real name) but I really feel strange using that name. I don't think it fits her too well.

    Odile your name is Cassie? hehe I guess I am not the only one shy about real names ><

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand the vibe your getting from the word "pheonix", but I assure you, it does suit the theme I have in mind for the story. Any story elements I use that have more of a fantasy origin will be explained within a science fiction context. I'm not saying there will be fantasy any elements though.

    I promise not to tell anyone either of your real names, okay? ;)

    Thanks for the input ladies. Its nice to hear from you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassie just sounds like a bratty 3 year old from the 1980s. Which, I guess I WAS...but..blerugh

    I like Linda, though. Maybe Druuler could call her Lulu in the comic? That's a nickname, I'd gather (from your Nexus profile?) :) She really does look like a Linda though (I guess because she looks a lot like you!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually like "Cassie", but I guess I will just keep that to myself.

    Wait...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cassie is so adorably cute! I love brats too haha. I can be a brat myself, don't really care if I seem juvenile :P
    Good idea with the name, if it fits her then we'll run with that :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You a brat? No, say it isn't so, lol.

    Alright then, your toon's new name is Lulu. So say we all!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Or maybe we don't say...lol.

    Finished reading a Nexus PM from Ultrajet and she's come up with a new name and a nick name to go with it. I think I will keep it to myself for the time being, on the off chance it changes again... ;)

    ReplyDelete